Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Purpose


I would have to say that this past Thanksgiving has really got me thinking about life. I can safely say that it's not the turkey talking, but for the past few weeks, I feel like I have hit a wall in my life. I feel useless, not motivated, and even feel a little bit depressed. I remember sitting in my bed at night staring at the ceiling asking myself, "What am I doing in life?" This question has been tearing me apart for the last few weeks, and as I was asking God saying, "What is wrong with me God? Why do I feel this way? I have a great life, my relationship with Rachel is great, I love my job, I love the students of Skyine, but what the heck is my problem?" The problem for me, as God made so clearly to me, was that I am too focused on myself. I ask myself when trying to figure stuff out in life like, what are MY goals, what is MY plan for the future, what are MY dreams? And I have realized that everything has been very self-centered and mainly focused on things that I want in life, and as a result, I find myself lost.
I have gotten lost many times as I have traveled and like most guys, I simply just try figuring it out, and as a result find myself even more lost then when I began. I think that almost every man can agree with that, it is our man nature to figure things out, but I have noticed this pattern in my life also. I am constantly asking myself what do I want, and as a result I end up discouraged, confused, and even lost in life. The answer is simple, if we are lost, what should we do? Ask for directions, and what is usually the case more times than not is that we started in the wrong direction. It is the same with our purpose in life. We must first start with God! What's God's plan, direction, and future for our life look like?
If someone where to come up to you and give you something that you had never seen before, and you had no idea what it was for, and they said, "Make it work to it's full potential" do you think that you could make it happen? I know for me, I would want to inventor or creator to tell me what it was, and at least have the owners manual for the product. The same applies to our walk with Christ. Some of us have no idea what our purpose in life is, I still am trying to figure this out, but the beauty of God is that he has given us the owners manual (the Bible) and a relationship with the creator himself. All we have to do is ask. Focusing on ourselves will never reveal our life's purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment