Tuesday, September 14, 2010

FUNDAMENTALS


If you are a Christian, why do you follow Jesus? Think about your deepest motivation for following Christ and doing things for Him. I have often thought about why I do the things that I do. Why do I choose to live like Christ did. Have my acts and character reflect true authentic love for Him, or have I been doing things all along just because I have been told my entire life that this is the only way? Are my motives and prayers self centered or are they aimed at honoring God and fulfilling His purposes for my life? I think that every Christian in their life has thought these thoughts, and have asked themselves, "Why do I follow Jesus?"
Last week in Skyline, I preached on "Being Great" and everything boiled down to John 3:30 (He must increase, I must decrease). So the question is, "Where do I begin in order to become great?" As I began to think about this, it simply comes down to "FUNDAMENTALS" When I think about fundamentals, I instantly think of a person who is solid in what they do, and how they do the "basics" perfectly. I relate almost everything to sports since I love athletics, and when you go to a high school basketball game, and one of the player bounces a ball of his or her leg or turns the ball over, the crowd begins to scream/point/laugh saying, "FUNDAMENTALS" Being a fundamentally sound basketball player is what makes them a great player. It's not the flash, its not the fanciness, or hype. It's doing the little thing, and doing the basics perfectly. The same applies to our walk with Christ. Do we do the basics perfectly, or are we all about the flash? Matthew 6:5-6 says, "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by man." Personally, and honestly, we all fall into this. We all love the approval of man, and love to look good. But what we do behind closed doors, is where true character is defined. Verse 6 they tells you, "But when you do pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." My question is simple, but I think is a question that we must ask ourselves everyday. "Are we a fundamentally sound Christian?"

No comments:

Post a Comment