Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Greatness


As I was thinking about the term "Be Great" I instantly found myself sitting in a tree stand, my Mathews bow in hand, and the cameras in place. It was the beginning of November, and the snow just started to fall as I was sitting there, waiting. You see there are moments in ones life that only come around once in a lifetime, and this was the moment. I looked up, and there he was! The world record whitetail buck coming right into my shooting lane. I started thinking about all the millions of dollars that I was going to make, and all the property that I was going to buy, simply because this was my one shot, the shot of a lifetime to become "GREAT"
For some of you, you're probably thinking that's what you think about when you hear the word "great" but for me that's what comes to mind instantly. We all have our own definitions about what is great, and what is not. My dream is to become a world hunter that goes around speaking to the next generation about God, while sharing my passion for the outdoors. For some of you, it might be becoming the next big lawyer, or plastic surgeon. When I think of great people, I think of, Michael Jordan, Bill Gates, Martin Luther King Jr. Michael Jackson, Amelia Earhart, FDR, Mother Theresa, and Billy Graham. (Just to name a few) I constantly find myself asking this one question, "How did they become great?" Last week in youth group I talked about how God created us from the dirt of the earth, and the reason why he did that was because he has planted seeds in each and everyone one of us. The only place a seed can grow, is in the dirt. We are created to be ourselves, because God has given us something that no one else has, and that is ourselves! No one in this world will be exactly like you, and that's what I believe is the greatness in everyone! OURSELF. I believe all the people that I just listed off became great simply because they just found out who they really were!
I also think of other people in this world that go about unknown. I believe these are the true heros in this world. The youth pastor that is so committed to his students and is in constant prayer for the next generation. The servants in the church that do all kinds of things behind the scenes and give it their all, even though no one may notice. I believe that the people that are out in the secular world building relationships with others, and just being a friend to someone in need are the true heros of this world. It's not who you are what determines what you do, it's what you do that determines who you are! My prayer for everyone today is found in John 3:30. He must become greater, I must become less. Don't think for one moment just because that you are not in ministry that God hasn't called you to Greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment