Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Sweaty Christians


I think for most people that have played sports, or people in your family that have played sports realize that sweaty and nasty equipment is just a small price that you pay for being an athlete. For me, sports was a way of life and if you were to ask my mother, she would tell you that that not only were the clothes smelly but there was a very large pile of them as well. You see for most guys, we just throw things in pile, turn our boxers inside out to get more use out of them, and all throughout high school and college sports I would only do the laundry once a month.......maybe!

College for me was a great time, but I was straight up messy. My basketball shorts and clothes would be all over the place. But college was also the time were I met my beautiful wife Rachel, so what do you do when she wants to come over and visit? (I went to North Central University where you could have open dorms once every 3 years so when a girl would come over, it was a big deal!) Like any guy, I would just throw everything into one bag and shove it under the bed! The problem was the smell though. No matter how clean the room looked as soon as she walked through those doors, her world was going to be rocked! (And it wasn't going to be because of my charm) So I would take a bunch of my fabric softeners that you throw in the dryer, load up the heaping pile and strategically place them in the clothes, in the ceiling tiles, in drawers, and everywhere else I could put them. Brilliant right? The next morning I couldn't breathe because the stench was so bad.

My point is that I have seen so many people in life go through the motions, say the prayers, go to church, look great on the outside but are not completely cleaned! We all have sin and we all fall short of the glory of God all the time, but more time then not I have seen people that just try to cover it up. Just like when I would try to cover the scent of the clothes. It would work for a little bit, but the next morning it was worse then ever. If we are trying to simply come up with quick fixes for everything in our life, we will end up doing more damage in the end.

Becoming who God created us to be takes work. Riding ourselves from sin and the temptations of this world takes work. It doesn't just happen over night, or when we say a prayer, get a vision or a dream. It happens when we begin put that dream into action. Remember that God is the Creator not because He imagined or envisioned creation. It was because He acted and brought it into existence.

Why should it be any different for the creation that was made in His image?

No comments:

Post a Comment